Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Death of a Kingfisher by M.C. Beaton


This is the first Hamish Macbeth mystery I’ve read, though it’s number 28 in the series.  One reason I selected is to fulfill the   Criminal Plots II Challenge  requirement for a book written under a pseudonym.  Though I’m new to the series, I caught up on Macbeth’s work and love lives pretty quickly.  It seems to be a series with lots of recurring characters.


The story takes place in northern Scotland where Macbeth is content to be a village policeman though that does mean he cannot take the lead on the murder investigations in this book.  It’s a conflict, but it seems a very mild one compared to the murders that need to be solved.  The story revolves around a new, extremely popular tourist attraction, the Fairy Glen.  Very soon after the opening of the Fairy Glen, a bridge breaks due to sabotage, a kingfisher and its family is poisoned, and a string of murders occurs.  It’s a bit jarring to move from a story about a quiet set of villages with eccentric characters to the series of murders and its solution, and I’m not sure if that’s a hallmark of the series.


This book will appeal to readers of Scottish village mysteries.  There’s a dash of humor as well as a bit about Hamish’s personal life for those invested in the character this far in the series.  While I prefer more of a focus on the investigation in a crime novel, this will appeal to readers who prefer setting and atmosphere over the plot.



Death of a Kingfisher by M.C. Beaton
Grand Central Publishing
Publication date:  February 22, 2012
Source:  Publisher via NetGalley

2 comments:

  1. Oooh, this sounds fun! I love Scottish village shows via BBC so I bet mysteries set there would satisfy. I'll have to look at this and see if I want to start at the very beginning -- or in the middle.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you like it! I don't read lots of cozies, but every once in awhile I get sucked into shows like Doc Martin.

    ReplyDelete